Monday, January 19, 2009

My Letter to Bush

Karl Rove went on Twitter last week and asked for farewell letters to Bush. I could not resist. I decided to make it short.

"Dear Mr. Bush,

When you were "elected" eight years ago, I wept. But over the next few weeks I hoped and prayed that you would surround yourself with wise advisers who would guide you away from the far-right agenda that I was so fearful of. Unfortunately, your actions revealed that you value loyalty over competence, partisanship over wisdom, and ideology over intellect. The consequences were far more tragic than even my greatest fears. You have decimated this great nation that I love. I hope that God will forgive you. I am not sure that I can.

The only silver lining is that your ruinous policies have directly resulted in the election of Barack Obama. I am not at all certain that he will be able to clean up even a small portion of the enormous mess you have left behind. But I will hope, and pray."

The deadline is 6 pm (ET) today if you would like to contribute your two cents: gwbfarewell@gmail.com

UPDATE: I just got a confirmation email from good old Karl, saying he will deliver my letter to W. I wonder if that will actually happen?

No comments: