Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It's political, and it's personal

I have three kids. My son is 22, and my twin daughters are 20. Two of the three have Type I diabetes, the kind that kids get, the kind that is not caused by obesity or poor eating habits, but by an autoimmune response gone wrong. Because of this, something over which they have no control, they are uninsurable. That is why this election has aroused my passions. Well, it's not the only reason, but it's a biggie.

So far, we have been fortunate. My husband's employer provides excellent coverage for the entire family. A couple of weeks before my son graduated from college this June, I started calling insurance companies, just to see what was out there. His graduation meant that he would no longer be covered. I soon found out that the diagnosis of diabetes is a pre-existing condition that prohibits him from obtaining individual coverage. He can't get it at any price. His only chance to be covered is if his employer offers it. He has since gotten a job, but it doesn't come with insurance, so for the next three years he will be covered under COBRA, for which we will pay a considerable extra monthly premium. After that....well, that is why I am urging everyone to elect Barack Obama.

Obama's health care plan will make it much easier for those with pre-existing conditions to get coverage. McCain's will make it more difficult. (Ironically, McCain himself would not be able to get coverage under the plan he is proposing, because he has cancer.) If you need more details, go here: http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/print_friendly.php?ID=nj_20081011_2605

This is my personal plea to you: Please think about all those Americans with pre-existing conditions, including my kids, when you vote on November 4. Vote for Barack Obama.

No comments: